Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Just before going to bed...

...I see this. Obviously I don't know who will be running the new Blog@Newsarama, but I have a hard time imagining that the new staff will provide the same breadth of coverage as I've come to expect from the departing Blogarama gang. It should be easy enough to replace some of the content there, particularly the fanboy- and Hollywood-oriented stuff*, but will the new Blog@Newsarama have the equivalent of a Chris Mautner? Hopefully yes, but I'm pretty skeptical. JK Parkin does promise some kind of Blogarama reunion early next year (Great Curve 2.0?), so at least we can look forward to that.

Anyway, in news related to this blog, work continues on my deliberations for the best comics of 2008. I've dug out all the books I could possibly consider among the best for this year, and I'll post a list of all the titles sometime in the next few days (possibly after Thanksgiving--another vegetarian starch-fest scheduled for this year!). I'm going to try to re-read as many of them as possible before making my list; I might blog my progress. Yeah, yeah, I know I'm spending about 200x the typical effort put into these things, but I find it a useful framework for making myself think harder about comics. Someone will probably read that last sentence and think, "isn't that antithetical to the whole comics-reading experience, these things are supposed to be fun, not deep, etc." But I say, have always said, and will always say: fuck those people.

*Not sure if it needs to be said, but I'm DEFINITELY NOT talking about Tom Bondurant here. I have to admit, though, that I've been skipping past his Trinity annotations because...uh, do I really have to finish that sentence? I'm sure they're good annotations and all but...Trinity, you know?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm definitely going to miss those guys. They've been the only part of Newsarama I'd cared to visit for months now, and their departure means that just a couple of columns there (Brandon Thomas's, maybe one or two more) are all I'm interested in, unless I somehow develop an interest in the lackluster fanboy and Hollywood news on the main site.

Chris Mautner said...

Gah, you make me blush.

Tom Bondurant said...

Coming soon: more Trinity annotations!

"I'm sure they're good annotations and all..." -- Dick Hyacinth

Seriously, thanks for the kind words. None of us are going away for good.

Tucker Stone said...

and what's your take so far?

Dick Hyacinth's Ghost said...

I've been sick, but I've still managed to keep up (and there's a lot of posts to keep up with). I'll try to address the new Blogorama in a post tomorrow.